Monday, October 12, 2015

Testimonies September 21, 2015

Hello all. I hope that you all had a good week. Elder F and I killed it in finding once again this week. So I will let you know of the struggle we are having and those of you who are returned missionaries or on missions advice would be helpful. So we in the past 3 weeks have found 21 new people to teach. We are finding them teaching them right then and there and then we will set up a return appointment. sounds promising but everytime we go back they are not home or them come up with and excuse of why they cant meet. They arent keeping there commitments. Yes we have to cycle through people who arent going to progress but for us that is a large chunk we lose each week. So we are trying to figure out if it is something we are doing wrong and need to change or if its just part of the type of people in California. Some sisters in our zone this past week had a baptism and another set of sisters have one coming up this upcoming saturday. Also this past week we had stake conference. It was really good. An area of the 70 came. His name was D. Zachary Smith. He was a great speaker. His wife was hilarious. The focus of the conference was ward councils and how we can make them productive. It was also focused on Christs teachings. So I wanted to share some things from studies that i looked at differently than before. I started the book of mormon

This is in 1 Nephi 13: 
 18 And it came to pass that as I, Nephi, went forth to slay food, behold, I did break my bow, which was made of fine steel; and after I did break my bow, behold, my brethren were angry with me because of the loss of my bow, for we did obtain no food.

 19 And it came to pass that we did return without food to our families, and being much fatigued, because of their journeying, they did suffer much for the want of food.

 20 And it came to pass that Laman and Lemuel and the sons of Ishmael did begin to murmur exceedingly, because of their sufferings and afflictions in the wilderness; and also my father began to murmur against the Lord his God; yea, and they were all exceedingly sorrowful, even that they did murmur against the Lord.

 21 Now it came to pass that I, Nephi, having been afflicted with my brethren because of the loss of my bow, and their bows having lost their springs, it began to be exceedingly difficult, yea, insomuch that we could obtain no food.

 22 And it came to pass that I, Nephi, did speak much unto my brethren, because they had hardened their hearts again, even unto complaining against the Lord their God.

 23 And it came to pass that I, Nephi, did make out of wood a bow, and out of a straight stick, an arrow; wherefore, I did arm myself with a bow and an arrow, with a sling and with stones. And I said unto my father: Whither shall I go to obtain food?

So i'll pose a question. How does a bow lose its spring? 
In this case it was from lack of use. Laman and Lemuel were murmuring but weren't even trying. We can take this a few different ways with the gospel but today i am going to go the testimony route of it. Our testimonies are like this bow. When in use it is strong and will have a powerful impact. When we do not use it however it begins to weaken to the point where we may question what we know. President Thomas S. Monson said" regarding ones testimony that which one willing shares he keeps and that which one selfishly keeps he loses". We must look for ways to grow and enhance what we know. I thought that it was really cool comparison. We must make that effort. If it "breaks" be like Nephi and do something about it. Faith is a principle of action. We must exercise our faith. 


​This week we also met with our mission president and the stake president to discuss the work in the stake. These are the spanish zone leaders in our stake. They are really cool. 

​The beauty of Bakersfield.
Have a great week 

-Elder Loertscher

No comments:

Post a Comment